Mitchell the Mini Bull Terrier’s Battle for Life

Estimated Reading Time: 1 min | Last Updated: March 5th, 2019

One afternoon, Mitchell the Miniature Bull Terrier was relaxing in the yard when he suddenly collapsed and had a seizure. Although he has had seizures before, his attentive owner realized something wasn’t right with her beloved pooch so rushed him to the local vet for advice. Thanks to the quick response of his owner, Mitchell reached the vet just as his breathing began to rapidly decline. Realising the poorly pooch was in trouble, the primary care vet administered oxygen therapy before transporting Mitchell to PVE for emergency treatment.

By the time he arrived at the hospital, Mitchell was experiencing severe breathing difficulties. A blood test and ultrasound were conducted but it was the digital radiograph that revealed the cause. Mitchell was diagnosed with aspiration pneumonia and had a large volume of pus building up in his chest due to the infection. As a result, Mitchell could barely breathe on his own. He required oxygen supplementation and was stabilized with mechanical ventilation (life support) until his lungs could start to heal.

It was a long 10 DAYS for Mitchell and his loving family, with the poorly pup requiring 24-hour monitoring, oxygen therapy and intensive care. He even spent Christmas and Boxing Day under the constant care of our dedicated team.

Thankfully, we are thrilled to report that this little fighter pulled through and was finally well enough to return home to his relieved family, where he required intermittent oxygen therapy at home for many days..  Whilst this is only the start of his long road to recovery, with a lengthy course of antibiotics, constant home monitoring and lots of rest and TLC from his wonderful family, this brave boy is on the right track to a full recovery.

OTHER ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE:

What to Do If Your Dog Gets Stung by a Bee

Our furry companions, especially the curious ones, often find themselves in unexpected situations, such as encountering bees. Unfortunately, it is a common occurrence for dogs to get stung by a bee, which can even lead to them ingesting the bee itself. This situation...

Dental Disease in Cats and Dogs

Prevent dental disease in cats and dogs to ensure your pet’s well-being. Discover why free Dental Checkups are crucial.

Easter Dangers For Pets

Did you know there are many Easter dangers for pets! We’re put together a list of the top Easter dangers to be aware of.

What Is A Pet Emergency? (when to go to the emergency vet guide)

Our pets can very easily find themselves in a spot of bother that needs a trip to the vet. It may be because they’ve eaten something they shouldn’t have, had an accident, or fallen ill. But what do you do if your regular vet is closed?

Allergic Reaction In Dogs (a guide to signs and treatment)

Does your pet seem to be scratching themselves more than usual? Does their skin look red or swollen? They may be experiencing an allergic reaction. Like us, allergic reaction in dogs is common and is one of the most common cases we see in our hospital. We’ve put...

What Is Parvovirus In Dogs? (info every dog owner needs to know)

Parvovirus in dogs is an extremely infectious virus. Even the mention of its name shakes dog owners to their core. Canine parvovirus is the last thing any pet parent wants to hear their beloved furry friend has contracted. Contagious and potentially fatal, it is...

Top Dangers At Perth Dog Beaches

Many Western Australians adore spending a day at the beach - soaking up the sun and splashing in the waves. Our playful pooches also enjoy playing in the water and digging in the sand, but did you know that there are several dangers at Perth dog beaches? We've...

Toxic Foods For Dogs And Cats: A Guide

The struggle of saying no when our pets beg for food while we are eating is universal among pet parents. While it may be difficult to resist offering small morsels from our plates, it is the right thing to do. Not only do our pets have different nutritional...

My Pet Has Eaten A Blowfish (Puffer Fish Poisoning In Dogs)

For many of us, summer in Western Australia is all about visits to the beach with our beloved pets. While a day at the beach means fun, sunbathing, and swimming, there are several hazards lurking for your dog. Blowfish, also known as puffer fish, is one of these...

Plants Safe For Dogs And Cats (an A-Z guide)

While there are many plants and flowers poisonouss to our cats and dogs, there are also a number of others that aren't. If you're a plant lover with a curious pet, you can still create a lovely garden with a range of plants safe for dogs and cats. We've compiled a...

Can Dogs Eat Cooked Bones? (the dangers of cooked bones)

Dogs love chewing bones. It's a wonderful workout for their jaws, as well as a rich source of nutrients from the bone marrow. It also assists to keep their teeth clean. But did you know that some bones are hazardous to our beloved pets? A common question dog owners...

Flowers And Plants That Are Toxic To Dogs And Cats: A Guide

Our pets are notorious for eating things they shouldn't, even plants and flowers aren't safe from them! Unfortunately, there are a number of common flowers and plants that are toxic to dogs and cats. We've compiled a list of flora harmful to our pets and their...

Related Posts