Veterinary Intern Position Available
Are you a newly graduated veterinarian wanting to kick start your career and learn in a supportive and encouraging environment? We want to help develop your career!
Perth Vet Emergency is offering a 12-month internship for a new or soon-to-be graduate at our hospital in Yokine for commencement in December 2021. Apply now to secure your place within a program that sets you a step ahead of your colleagues and boosts your career!
The Perth Vet Emergency Team
Perth Vet Emergency is a veterinary-owned and run company passionate about everything to do with emergency and critical care medicine. We are a specialised veterinary organisation providing urgent, after hours medical attention to pets and other animals.
Between our clinical experts, support staff, and facilities, we practice exceptional emergency medicine and are determined on creating a team with incredible culture, atmosphere, and dedication to provide the best care possible.
Although clinical standards mean everything to us, we recognise everyone needs time off. Social functions and up to five days off a year to attend CPD are all important facets of life at Perth Vet Emergency. We are looking for a vet who wants to join our team because a position at Perth Vet Emergency is more than just a job!
An internship at Perth Vet Emergency provides an opportunity for recent graduates to establish a career in emergency critical care medicine and surgery under the guidance of experienced clinicians. The objective of this program is to train individuals to be outstanding veterinarians with a focus on clinical excellence. Candidates will have the opportunity to graduate and become permanent members of the veterinary team after completion of the internship.
We have comprehensive training plans and support systems in place so even if you haven’t worked in the veterinary or emergency field before, you will find the experience life-changing. From the moment you join the team, you will be provided with a program that gradually allows you to become confident with handling any case that comes through the door.
The first 12 months of the internship will be directly mentored by a group of friendly and experienced emergency veterinarians and will have the support of senior clinicians any time you’re on shift. Training will involve attending consultations and assisting with diagnostic investigations, surgical procedures, client communications, and maintenance of high-quality medical records. Interns will then progress to taking primary case management under supervision allowing them to develop the confidence and clinical skill needed in this challenging field of veterinary medicine.
Additional training and clinical resources provided include:
- Enrolment in the 15-week Animal Emergency Service Accelerated Emergency Program run by our sister company, Improve International, which is the only program of its kind in the world. The program is designed to get you feeling confident in emergency in four months. Upon completion, you will gain a Foundation Certificate in Emergency and Critical Care accreditation (FCert Ecc post-nominals).
- Vet Vault clinical podcasts covering the fundamentals of what’s new in the fields of internal medicine, emergency and critical care, surgery, and more.
- Attend internal CPD programs, tutorials, and journal club meetings.
Oh, and not to mention…
- We are dedicated to supporting your wellbeing – we have a committee that organises events and other initiatives as well as an Employee Assistance Program all team members and their immediate family can access!
Our goal is to help you attain a long and fulfilling career.
- Candidates must have a mature approach to veterinary care and excellent communication skills.
- A genuine desire to embrace emergency medicine as a career choice.
- Must be eligible for veterinary registration in the state of Western Australia and hold a current radiation license.
- Availability to work on a rotating roster across days, nights, weekends, and public holidays.
Our Offer To You
The internship phase of your emergency career with Perth Vet Emergency is 12 months. Remuneration during this phase is $60,000/year plus 10% super for full-time hours where you are rostered for approximately 140 clinical hours per four-week period.
After 12 months and upon graduation from the program you may be offered to join our consulting vet roster and transition to a salary arrangement (base compensation plus percentage of production).
Emergency and critical care is a challenging but very rewarding area of veterinary medicine and we want to help the right person attain their career goals. Please contact Dr Emily Gray at email@example.com for more information.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.