Mitchell the Mini Bull Terrier’s Battle for Life

Estimated Reading Time: 1 min | Last Updated: March 5th, 2019

One afternoon, Mitchell the Miniature Bull Terrier was relaxing in the yard when he suddenly collapsed and had a seizure. Although he has had seizures before, his attentive owner realized something wasn’t right with her beloved pooch so rushed him to the local vet for advice. Thanks to the quick response of his owner, Mitchell reached the vet just as his breathing began to rapidly decline. Realising the poorly pooch was in trouble, the primary care vet administered oxygen therapy before transporting Mitchell to PVE for emergency treatment.

By the time he arrived at the hospital, Mitchell was experiencing severe breathing difficulties. A blood test and ultrasound were conducted but it was the digital radiograph that revealed the cause. Mitchell was diagnosed with aspiration pneumonia and had a large volume of pus building up in his chest due to the infection. As a result, Mitchell could barely breathe on his own. He required oxygen supplementation and was stabilized with mechanical ventilation (life support) until his lungs could start to heal.

It was a long 10 DAYS for Mitchell and his loving family, with the poorly pup requiring 24-hour monitoring, oxygen therapy and intensive care. He even spent Christmas and Boxing Day under the constant care of our dedicated team.

Thankfully, we are thrilled to report that this little fighter pulled through and was finally well enough to return home to his relieved family, where he required intermittent oxygen therapy at home for many days..  Whilst this is only the start of his long road to recovery, with a lengthy course of antibiotics, constant home monitoring and lots of rest and TLC from his wonderful family, this brave boy is on the right track to a full recovery.

OTHER ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE:

Allergic Reaction In Dogs (a guide to signs and treatment)

Does your pet seem to be scratching themselves more than usual? Does their skin look red or swollen? They may be experiencing an allergic reaction. Like us, allergic reaction in dogs is common and is one of the most common cases we see in our hospital. We’ve put...

What Is Parvovirus In Dogs? (info every dog owner needs to know)

Parvovirus in dogs is an extremely infectious virus. Even the mention of its name shakes dog owners to their core. Canine parvovirus is the last thing any pet parent wants to hear their beloved furry friend has contracted. Contagious and potentially fatal, it is...

Top Dangers At Perth Dog Beaches

Many Western Australians adore spending a day at the beach - soaking up the sun and splashing in the waves. Our playful pooches also enjoy playing in the water and digging in the sand, but did you know that there are several dangers at Perth dog beaches? We've...

Toxic Foods For Dogs And Cats: A Guide

The struggle of saying no when our pets beg for food while we are eating is universal among pet parents. While it may be difficult to resist offering small morsels from our plates, it is the right thing to do. Not only do our pets have different nutritional...

My Pet Has Eaten A Blowfish (Puffer Fish Poisoning In Dogs)

For many of us, summer in Western Australia is all about visits to the beach with our beloved pets. While a day at the beach means fun, sunbathing, and swimming, there are several hazards lurking for your dog. Blowfish, also known as puffer fish, is one of these...

Plants Safe For Dogs And Cats (an A-Z guide)

While there are many plants and flowers poisonouss to our cats and dogs, there are also a number of others that aren't. If you're a plant lover with a curious pet, you can still create a lovely garden with a range of plants safe for dogs and cats. We've compiled a...

Can Dogs Eat Cooked Bones? (the dangers of cooked bones)

Dogs love chewing bones. It's a wonderful workout for their jaws, as well as a rich source of nutrients from the bone marrow. It also assists to keep their teeth clean. But did you know that some bones are hazardous to our beloved pets? A common question dog owners...

Flowers And Plants That Are Toxic To Dogs And Cats: A Guide

Our pets are notorious for eating things they shouldn't, even plants and flowers aren't safe from them! Unfortunately, there are a number of common flowers and plants that are toxic to dogs and cats. We've compiled a list of flora harmful to our pets and their...

Heat Stroke In Dogs: A Guide To Symptoms And Treatment

Heat stroke is a life-threatening illness Heat stroke is a serious, sometimes fatal illness affecting every pet. When temperatures rise during the summer months, so do cases of heat stroke in dogs and cats. Unfortunately, many pet owners are unaware of the fact their...

Milk Fever In Dogs (causes, symptoms, treatment and prevention)

It's an exciting (and stressful) time finding out your dog is pregnant and taking care of them. Even after she's delivered her pups there is still so much to know and do to help them. Milk fever in dogs, a common condition that can threaten nursing mums' lives, is one...

Hand Sanitiser: Potential Pet Poisoner

Hand sanitiser is now a commonplace household item found in homes, cars, handbags, and offices. While hand sanitiser is great at killing germs there is a lot of misinformation around its potential danger to pets. Having the right information is essential when the...

COVID-19 Emergency Information For Vets

Information For Vet Practices During The COVID-19 Pandemic This page has been put together for vet practices to keep up-to-date on what their clients should do in a pet emergency during the coronavirus (COVID-19 ) pandemic as it unfolds in Australia. Last updated:...

Related Posts