Flowers And Plants That Are Toxic To Dogs And Cats: A Guide
Our pets are notorious for eating things they shouldn’t, even plants and flowers aren’t safe from them! Unfortunately, there are a number of common flowers and plants that are toxic to dogs and cats. We’ve compiled a list of flora harmful to our pets and their symptoms in case your pet should ingest one.
What plants are toxic to dogs and cats?
There are many flowers and plants that are toxic to dogs and cats. Below is a list of flowers and plants harmful to our pets. This isn’t a complete list, and we always recommend checking all flora for their toxicity level before planting. If your pet does eat a toxic flower or plant or if you aren’t sure if it is toxic, contact your vet right away.
Aloe vera, a popular home plant with therapeutic benefits for us humans, is poisonous to both cats and dogs.
There are more than 1,000 different species of rhododendrons/azaleas. Azaleas are the smaller species, while rhododendrons are the larger as well as being the more poisonous species. Every part of these plants can be harmful to cats and dogs.
Although most types of bamboo are safe, there are a few that are poisonous to our pets.
Toxic bamboos: False Bamboo and Lucky Bamboo (pictured)
Chives are part of the allium family, which includes onion, garlic, and leeks. They can be poisonous to both cats and dogs. However, small amounts, particularly for dogs, may be safe, but a large amount can be highly toxic.
Toxin: N-propyl disulfide
While the chrysanthemum is a bright-coloured, eye-catching flower, it is extremely poisonous to cats, and also toxic to dogs.
Toxin: Pyrethrins, sesquiterpene, lactones
Toxin: Terpenoid saponins
The daffodil is a colorful and cheerful bloom that is extremely poisonous to cats and dogs.
Toxic ferns: Asparagus Fern, Emerald Fern (pictured), Lace Fern, Plumosa Fern
Synonymous with Christmas, holly, both its leaves and berries, are toxic to our pets. Dogs and cats should be kept away from all varieties of holly, but the Christmas and English types, in particular, can cause severe gastrointestinal upset when ingested. Holly, with its spiky leaves, can also irritate the mouth and throat, causing pets to shake their heads repeatedly in an attempt to rid themselves of it.
Toxin: Saponins, methylxanthines, and cyanogens
Toxin: Allergenic lactones
Toxin: Cyanogenic glycoside
Some species of ivy are poisonous to both cats and dogs. Of particular note, the foliage is more harmful than the berries.
Toxic ivy: Branching Ivy, English Ivy (pictured), Needlepoint Ivy
Highly poisonous to cats, lilies belong to the lilium and hemerocallis families. All parts of lilies are poisonous, and if left untreated lily intoxication can result in acute renal failure within 12-36 hours. A small amount is all a cat needs to ingest to be affected. Lilies are only mildly toxic to dogs, but their effects are not nearly as severe.
Toxic lilium lilies: Asiatic, Easter Lily, Japanese Show, Rubrum, Stargazer Lily, Red, Tiger Lily (pictured), Western, Wood lilies
Another favourite Christmas plant, the American variety’s berries, if ingested by our cats and dogs, can cause mild gastrointestinal signs. The more a pet ingests, the more severe the symptoms will be.
Toxic mistletoe: Phoradendron serotinum (American variety) and Viscum album (European variety)
All parts of this shrub are extremely poisonous to both cats and dogs.
Toxin: Cardiac glycoside
This colorful blossoming shrub is poisonous to cats and dogs.
Toxin: Irritant sap
These bright blooms, especially the bulb, are poisonous to cats and dogs.
Toxin: Tulipalin A and B
Don’t be fooled by the appearance of this beautiful shrub; all parts of it can be harmful to cats and dogs.
Toxin: Brunfelsamidine and hopeanine