Household and garden toxins toxic for pets

There are many common household, garden and food stuffs that can be toxic to your pet. If you are concerned that your pet may have eaten or come into contact with any of the following we recommend you contact a vet immediately. Be ready to give the vet the name of the product, how much your pet has come into contact, at what time, and to give a description of your pet’s current condition.
This list is not exhaustive, if you are concerned about what your pet may have had access to contact your vet.

Toxins In the House

  • Chocolate
  • Grapes and raisins
  • Onions and garlic
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Sugar-free chewing gum (Xylitol)
  • Avocadoes
  • Caffeine containing products
  • Lilies (even cut flowers) and some houseplants
  • Medications: paracetamol is particularly toxic to cats even in very small amounts. You should never medicate your pet without first seeking veterinary advice. Always keep medications in sealed containers out of reach of pets
  • Flea or worming treatments: always double check with the manufacturer’s instructions. Some dog flea preparations (permethrins) are safe on dogs but can be fatal when used on cats. Preparations to be put on the skin can be extremely poisonous if given orally
  • Toothpaste (Xylitol)

Toxins In the Garden or Shed

  • Rat bait
  • Snail and slug pellets
  • Fertilizers
  • Insect killers: organophosphates, carbamates and pyrethrins
  • Lilies in cats: Easter lily, Day lily, Tiger lily, Japanese show lily and the Rubrum lily can all cause acute kidney failure in cats
  • All parts of the Castor Bean or Castor Oil plant are toxic
  • Yesterday-Today-Tomorrow Brunfelsia bonodora (syn. B. australis, B. latifolia) is toxic, especially the berries
  • Cycads, Zamia or Sago palm

Rat Bait Poisoning | Snail Pellet Poisoning  | Vomiting Pets