PERTH VET EMERGENCY AFTER HOURS EMERGENCIES
1300 040 400

Rottweiler Visits Emergency After Eating Grapes

Emma wasn’t well after just 4 grapes

One Thursday afternoon, Emma’s owner returned home to find that a bag of grapes had disappeared into thin air. She wasn’t sure when they disappeared, as she’d been out all day, but she heard that grapes may be dangerous to her 4 year old Rottweiler if consumed. 

Emma’s owner couldn’t find any evidence of vomiting or diarrhoea and Emma appeared to be normal with no unusual behaviour. She even ate dinner with no concern. However, there was that niggling feeling that something could still go wrong so Emma’s owner packed her into the car and brought her to Perth Vet Emergency for a check-up just to be sure.

Emma was examined by Dr Oisin. During her consultation she appeared normal and all her vital signs presented well. Her pulse and respiratory rate were normal and there were no significant findings. However, upon examination of her stomach, Dr Oisin noticed it was tense which would otherwise have gone undetected. This was a very early symptom of toxicity and Emma's health could certainly deteriorate if left untreated. 

A blood test was performed to identify any issues that are not detectable by physical examination. It returned showing everything was in normal range with some elevations that were not of clinical concern. IV fluids were offered as an option to Emma’s owner though at this stage they weren’t a mandatory requirement. Emma’s owner was given the option of admitting her to hospital for this treatment or taking her home for bed rest and close monitoring. She opted for the latter.

Emma’s owner was given advice and Dr Oisin answered her questions about the ailment while Emma was taken to the Emergency Treatment Area and given medication to force her to vomit her stomach contents in an effort to remove any trace of the toxins. Close examination of the contents presented 4 grapes though we couldn't be certain there weren't  further offenders remaining.

The gorgeous Rotti was ready to head home within 30 minutes. Her owner was given a medical report that included advice about symptoms to watch for. Dr Oisin also recommended a check-up with Emma’s GP the next day to ensure there were no further signs of toxicity. Her GP was sent a veterinary report as well as the blood test results to assist them with their examination.

We’re happy to report Emma recovered with no complications and her check-up with her GP the next day was all clear. This was the best case scenario and it would be great if we could have this result for every canine who presents with grape or raisin toxicity. Sadly, this is not always the case. If you suspect your dog has eaten grapes or raisins (including food containing these ingredients) we recommend a veterinary check to ensure they are well. Grape and raisin toxicity can be fatal. You can read more about it in this PVE article about Grape, Sultana & Raisin Toxicity

Grape, Sultana & Raisin Toxicity  |  Pets and Toxins |   Vomiting Pets  |   Seizuring Pets


Articles