Lilies are beautiful but this is one bouquet or garden plant you want to avoid at all costs if you’re a cat owner.
There are many different species of the Lily - the Easter Lily, Tiger Lily, Lily of the Valley and so many more. The simple solution is to avoid them altogether but the Lily plants that are of the greatest concern are from the genus Lilium (Lilium sp.) and the genus Hemerocallis (Hemerocallis sp.) which include the species previously mentioned.
Lily toxicity in cats is a serious matter that must be taken into consideration when you’re ordering the next bouquet for your friend or relative.
If a cat eats or licks any part of this plant they are at high risk of kidney failure that can be fatal if they don’t receive immediate veterinary attention.
- Loss of appetite
- Increased urination or lack of urination
Emergency treatment before transport to a veterinarian
Perth Vet Emergency does not recommend any form of first aid prior to seeing a veterinarian. If you suspect your cat has been in contact with Lilies, visit a veterinarian immediately and take plant samples or photographs with you for identification. Be sure to seal the samples well in a container.
If you think your cat has been in contact with Lilies, seek immediate veterinary attention.
What to expect at the vet
Induced vomiting to remove the toxin source
Intravenous fluids if rehydration is required
Intravenous medications for any gastrointestinal issues resulting from kidney failure
Blood tests to assess the severity of the illness
Urine testing to identify any infections or other abnormalities resulting from kidney disease
Ultrasound in severe cases where the kidneys need to be assessed
Dialysis for severe cases with kidney failure
Lilies cause kidney failure in cats when even a small amount is ingested. Our article about Kidney Failure In Pets will has more information about treating this serious illness.
The best prevention is avoiding Lilies at all costs in households that include cats. If you think your cat has come in contact with Lilies, seek immediate veterinary attention.