Kobe is a 5 year old Samoyed who was presented to PVE on the 10th of December after being hit by a car. The impact of the car caused bleeding around and into his lungs, a fractured rib and multiple head injuries, resulting in Kobe presenting in severe shock.
Over the next 3 days Kobe required multiple blood transfusions, assitance with his breathing using specialised equipment similar to that used in human critical care facilities, and intensive nursing and veterinary care.
Fortunately, he was able to be discharged home after 3 nights in hospital, and spent the following weeks recuperating in the loving care of his owner Ashley.
Nowadays, Kobe can be found supervising the patrons and enjoying the beautiful weather at his Ashley’s Cafe - Lush, in Mt Hawthorn.
Some of the PVE team have had the pleasure of dining at Lush, which has a side door, just for dogs which leads to a beautiful outdoor alfresco, complete with a dog water bowl for Kobe and any furry friends that visit.
Lily is a two and a half year old black Labrador who presented to Perth Vet Emergency on Friday the 7th May 2010 with complaints of vomiting, lethargy and dehydration. X-rays showed an obstructive pattern in Lily's abdomen as well as a large amount of air in her chest, which was causing her to have breathing problems. Lily received surgery where several of her organs were found to be in the wrong place.
A hole was also found in her diaphragm. A specialist surgeon was called in to fix the hole in Lily's diaphragm and carefully place her organs back in their correct positions. After a two day rest period, and a gradual increase in appetite, Lily was able to go home Wednesday morning.
Almost one year on, Lily has returned to being a normal active and, happy dog. She is always excited to see her owners Meike & Ian return home from being
away for a minute or a month (when Ian used to travel for work). The level of enjoyment that Lily gives, extends beyond her loving owners when she is walking on the street (on a lead of course).
Lily always manages to make people smile and comment what a lovely dog she is. Little children ask if they can pat her. They always leave with a bit of dog drool, a smile and a happy giggle too.
Marty is a young domestic short haired cat who has become a familiar face at PVE after she developed an interest in some of Perths native snakes. She has been seen at PVE not once, but twice for suspected snake envenomation!
Here in Perth, the most common snake envenomations seen are of the Tiger Snake or Brown Snake (also Dugite) species. If untreated, for many of our canine and feline patients, envenomation can be lethal.
Luckily for Marty, her observant owner witnessed her playing with a snake, and transported her to PVE for assessment. By the time she arrived she was displaying signs of envenomation, which can include weakness or paralysis that interferes with breathing ability.
She was treated with oxygen therapy, IV fluids, and antivenin designed for Tiger or Brown snake venom, and showed significant improvement overnight.
Marty came in to see us again only a month later after being seen next to a snake - fortunately she was not showing signs of envenomation and did not require treatment, although she did require close monitoring over a period of hours to ensure her status would not change.
Marty is now back home and enjoying the company of her best mate Anna (who has also spent time at PVE as a patient is pictured above).
Snake envenomation is a real risk during the warmer weather in Perth, even in the metropolitan areas (particularly around lakes or in sand dunes). Please don't hesitate to seek veterinary advice if you are worried about your pet, especially if you see your pet with a snake like in Marty's case - timely treatment could save their life!
KAISER AND DISEL
Kaiser, a young male Doberman presented to Perth Vet Emergency on the evening of Saturday March the 20th after spending the day running around the farm with his Saffordhire Bull Terrier brother, Disel. He was collapsed and vomiting, and diagnosed with heat stroke - a severe and life threatening condition in
which the body's cells are damaged, leading to organ failure and possible death.
Unfortunately, while Kaiser was being treated, Diesel ran away from his parents and could not be found.
Thankfully he returned on the Sunday morning, but unfortunately also collapsed due to severe dehydration. His owners brought him straight to us. Both Kaiser and Disel were treated with intravenous (IV) fluids, aggressive medical therapy, and in Kaiser's case, both plasma and blood transfusions. They both received lots of tender loving care, with Disel recovering quickly returning home 36 hours after admission to hospital.
Kaiser took slightly longer to recover, but was able to be discharged after 5 days in hospital.
Almost two months later both Kaiser and his mate Disel are happy healthy dogs bounding around! We wish them both a long life with their loving families, and hope they both remember to drink lots and stay cool in the future, particularly when its hot!
"Henry" is a very handsome chocolate Burmese cat, who presented to Perth Vet Emergency on Sunday the 7th of February 2010, after being hit by a car. Radiographs (x-rays) were taken, which revealed a fractured jaw, a fractured pelvis and dislocated hip.
"Henry's" fractures were repaired by our wonderful surgical team. They placed special feeding tube from the side of his neck straight into his esophagus. This allowed us to feed him by completely bypassing his mouth, allowing his jaw to heal.
After two weeks of intensive care and lots of cuddles with our vets and nurses, "Henry" was able to be discharged home.
Two months on, Henry is recovering extremely well, and is happy to be home with his French Bulldog sister "Memphis" and his loving family.
We wish Henry and his family all the best, and hope he has learnt that playing 'chicken' with cars is not a good idea.
Africa, is a 9 year old Weimeraner who presented to Perth Vet Emergency on Thursday the 29th of April 2010, with a history of unknown trauma.
Africa had multiple superficial cuts and abrasions, and a very fast heart rate. An intravenous catheter was placed so that he could receive intravenous fluids, while his wounds were clipped and cleaned. Further examination revealed that Africa still appeared unwell, so an ultrasound of his abdomen was performed.
This ultrasound revealed free fluid within his abdomen (an abnormal finding). Analysis of this fluid allowed us to diagnose Africa with a haemabdomen (bleeding within the abdominal cavity), most likely caused by trauma.
Africa required a blood transfusion to keep him stable overnight, and while he initially stabilized, he did not improve significantly over the next few days. On Saturday the 31st of April, Africa had a repeat ultrasound with a specialist, which was suggestive of damage to his spleen - an organ that bleeds profusely if damaged.
Africa was immediately taken to surgery, and his spleen removed successfully. After another 24 hours of intensive care he was discharged home into the loving care of his family to enjoy some much needed rest, relaxation and recovery!
Leave a Google Review about your experience at PVE | PVE Facebook | Info For Owners | Pet Care News