There are many common household, garden and food stuffs that can be toxic to your pet. If you are concerned that your pet may have eaten or come into contact with any of the following we recommend you contact a vet immediately. Be ready to give the vet the name of the product, how much your pet has come into contact, at what time, and to give a description of your pet’s current condition.
This list is not exhaustive, if you are concerned about what your pet may have had access to contact your vet.
Toxins In the House
- Grapes and raisins
- Onions and garlic
- Macadamia nuts
- Sugar-free chewing gum (Xylitol)
- Caffeine containing products
- Lilies (even cut flowers) and some houseplants
- Medications: paracetamol is particularly toxic to cats even in very small amounts. You should never medicate your pet without first seeking veterinary advice. Always keep medications in sealed containers out of reach of pets
- Flea or worming treatments: always double check with the manufacturer’s instructions. Some dog flea preparations (permethrins) are safe on dogs but can be fatal when used on cats. Preparations to be put on the skin can be extremely poisonous if given orally
- Toothpaste (Xylitol)
Toxins In the Garden or Shed
- Rat bait
- Snail and slug pellets
- Insect killers: organophosphates, carbamates and pyrethrins
- Lilies in cats: Easter lily, Day lily, Tiger lily, Japanese show lily and the Rubrum lily can all cause acute kidney failure in cats
- All parts of the Castor Bean or Castor Oil plant are toxic
- Yesterday-Today-Tomorrow Brunfelsia bonodora (syn. B. australis, B. latifolia) is toxic, especially the berries
- Cycads, Zamia or Sago palm
Rat Bait Poisoning | Snail Pellet Poisoning | Vomiting Pets
Australia Day For Pets
WA Emergency Vets - Donate Blood ...
Career Opportunities At PVE
Veterinary Career Opportunity
Found A Baby Bird?
Restraining Dogs In Cars
What Is Vestibular Disease In Pets?
Can I Give My Dog Panadol?
Garfield Wounded From A Cat Fight
Cats With Cat Fight Wounds
Cats Wanted For the PVE Blood Don...
Emergency Planning For Perth’s ...
The Patients Of Perth Vet Emergency
Dogs And New Years Eve Fireworks
Lucky The Golden Retriever Was Lu...
Chihuahua Visits PVE With A Close...
Corneal Ulcers In Pets
Bernie Treated For Rat Bait Poiso...
Rottweiler Visits Emergency After...
Grape, Sultana And Raisin Toxicit...
Patient Testimonials 2016
Cat Owner Articles
Penis Injuries In Dogs
How To Give Ear Medication To You...
Dogs Afraid Of Thunder
Kidney Stones In Pets
Lilies Are Very Toxic To Cats
Dogs That Can’t Swim
Brachycephalic Dogs And Cats
Stray Cat Reunited With Owner
Antifreeze Toxicity And Pets
Kidney Failure In Pets
Red Heeler Presents With Kidney F...
Blood Donors Save Newfoundland’...
How To Bottle Feed A Kitten
What Is Pet Ventilation?
Some Fun With Our Pet Census 2016
Possum Needs Veterinary Help Afte...
After Hours Veterinarians In Perth
Lithium Batteries Are Very Danger...
What Is A Pet Ultrasound?
Does My Rabbit Have GI Stasis?
GI Stasis Troubles A Dwarf Lop R...
Siberian Husky Has A Stomach Full...
Bronson Saves Pets Lives By Donat...
Patient Testimonial: Beccy Moreton
How To Perform CPR
Heat Stroke - The Symptoms In Pets
Pets And Toxins
Rat Bait Is Very Dangerous For Pets
What To Do If Your Dog Has A Bloa...
Pets Eyes And Medical Emergencies
Stick Injuries And Pets
My Pet Is Vomiting
Broken Legs Or Penetrating Wounds
What To Do If Your Pet Drinks Sea...
My Pet Has Eaten Chocolate
Pet Has Eaten Snail Pellets
My Pet Is Having A Seizure
Pets With Head Traumas
What To Do If Your Pet Nearly Dro...
My Pet Has Eaten A Blowfish
Pets Bitten By Snakes
Pets With Insect Bites Or Stings
Advice For Pets Having Trouble Gi...
Whelping Dogs And Milk Fever
Cat Twitching After Flea Treatment
A Small List Of Non Toxic Plants ...
Transporting Your Sick Or Injured...
Pet Trauma Symptoms And Advice
Thanks For Completing Pet Census ...